CEHD Research and Development
Questions? Contact whollis@tamu.edu

About our Office

We assist in the development and submission of research proposals, coordinate award documentation and manage post-award financial activities. We provide workshops for faculty and graduate students on grant submission, grant-seeking, and create compelling, competitive proposals. And we serve as a liaison to schools and other stakeholders in your research programs. The CERD pre and post award staff are happy to meet with you in your office to discuss any questions you have about your submission, project account, or outreach activities. Contact us.

To learn more about the research being conducted in the College of Education and Human Development including current projects, funding, research centers and departments, please  click here 


2018 CEHD Funding Flyers


Our Dean & Director

General Research Questions

  • What are the current projects funded in the college?

    You can view all active projects in the college by going to the College’s directory page.  You can sort by department, faculty name, agency, and by previous years.


  • Is there a pre approved Nondisclosure Agreement available?

    The Office of General Counsel has an approved mutual nondisclosure agreement that can be used and executed. If changes or modifications to this agreement are made, then the Vice President for Research must review and approve changes prior to execution.

  • What is the indirect cost return rate to PIs in CEHD?

    PIs will automatically receive at 10% return on the indirect costs generated on their projects.

    See the April 2014 memo on F&A distribution and the Research Development Fund.

    See the CEHD Guideline for F&A, Salary Savings, and Course Buy-Outs (revised Oct 2017)

  • What is the CEHD policy on indirect cost returns and salary savings?

    The CEHD Facilities & Administrative (Indirect) Costs, Salary Savings, and Course Buy-Outs Guideline was last revised on October 3, 2017.  Please see document HERE.


  • What are indirect costs (also known as F&A)?

    Indirect Costs are recoverable costs that are not identified with a specific sponsored project. Indirect Costs can be administrative expenses, library expenses, departmental administration, sponsored project administration, building and equipment allowance, and physical plant operation and maintenance. These costs represent a real expense, and when not recovered are a loss of research resources. You will also hear these costs referred to as F&A which stand for Facilities & Administration.

  • Where can I find information about the use of human or animal subjects?
  • What does Research Development Services in the Vice President for Research Office do?

    RDS facilitates major research through the development of disciplinary and multidisciplinary projects. More information available on the RDS website.

  • Is there a room that can be used for project meetings?

    621A Harrington can be scheduled for project meetings.

    Please call 845-5311 to schedule the room.

Post-Award Questions

  • Are there instructions on terminating research staff when funding runs out?

    Human Resources has clarified that, for any research staff member a PI must terminate for lack of funding/end of grant project, HR will require these 3 documents:

    1. Copy of a 60-day advance termination notice given to the employee, specifying that funding supporting their position is coming to an end
    2. Copy of the employee’s most recent annual appointment letter
    3. Copy of the official award letter/notice from the funding agency that includes end date of the project

    The situation is more complicated when the employee is supported off multiple grant projects and/or other resources (e.g., IDC returns).   Please contact Carol Holmes in the Dean’s Office as early as possible if you believe you must terminate research staff who are supported by multiple sources.   Additional documentation will be required.

  • What research titles are available and what are the procedures for posting and hiring?

    The following research positions are considered faculty-equivalent:

    • Assistant Research Scientist
    • Associate Research Scientist
    • Research Scientist
    • Postdoctoral Research Associate

    Additional information can be found on the Division of Research website.

Pre-Award Questions

  • I would like to download the SRS Excel budget template, where do I find it?
  • How do I buyout of a course?

    Faculty with a portion of their FTE funded from extramural projects may arrange to ‘buy out’ of courses at the rate of 10% of their 9-month annual base salary (capped at $10,000) per 3-hour course. They must still meet department-determined minimum teaching load requirements and must specify the area in which that percentage of their time will be reallocated (e.g., research/project administration, service). Faculty may only use buy-outs to reduce their course instruction loads and must continue to fulfill their ongoing service, student advising, and administrative duties. Buy-outs cannot be used to reduce one’s overall work effort or be construed as approval for a full-time research appointment.  Effective January 1, 2018.

  • Who can be a PI (Principal Investigator)?

    The Division of Research provides the titles that are eligible to be PIs on a proposal. Select the PDF document on their page, only those with a “M” in the first column apply to TAMU.  Additional information can be found HERE.

  • What is the first thing I need to do to submit a proposal?

    Submit a Proposal Notification Form (log in with Net ID). It is also a good idea to talk to your department head about the implications of a funded proposal. The pre-proposal form acts as a notification tool. Your department head and the Research Office receive copies of submissions. Please see Proposal Preparation and Submission through Sponsored Research Services.

  • How do I find funding?

    There are many resources to search for funding opportunities. The VPR-Division of Research maintains a page related to internal and external Funding OppotunitiesPIVOT is an funding opportunity search tool that you can customize to fit your needs based on your search criteria.  Contact cehdpreaward@tamu.edu for assistance.

  • Who are the SRS and CEHD contacts that will assist in the proposal process?

    SRS – Proposal Administration:  EPSY & TLAC  Sue Hibbs | shibbs@tamu.edu | 845-8630
    EAHR & HLKN  Ann Savell |  asavell@tamu.edu | 845-4904

    CEHD – Research Development Officer:  EPSY & TLAC  Jesús Palomo | jpalomo@tamu.edu | 845-5353
    EAHR & HLKN   Gabe Rivera | rivera@tamu.edu | 845-4981

  • What is the current indirect cost rate?

    Following are the currently negotiated indirect costs/Facilities and Administrative Cost Rates. Rate Agreement
    9/1/2015 – 8/31/2018                48.5% On Campus (Organized Research)
    9/1/2014 – 8/31/2018                48.5% Instruction (Instruction)
    9/1/2014 – 8/31/2018                28% On Campus (Other Sponsored Activities)
    9/1/2014 – 8/31/2018                8.5% On Campus (IPA Programs)
    9/1/2014 – 8/31/2018                26% Off Campus (All Programs)

  • Should I request a reduction in indirect costs?

    To request a waiver of Indirect Cost, the PI must prepare a justification and submit to the CERD pre award office (Jesus Palomo or Gabe Rivera) or to the SRS pre award contact (Elizabeth Vasquez or Ann Savell).  The waiver will be entered and routed through Maestro.  The off campus rate should only be used if instructed by the sponsor or if more than 51% of the work is to be preformed off campus.  Your proposal will not be submitted to the sponsor without prior approval of the IDC waiver, so please start this process early.  See link for Acceptable Explanations for IDC waivers.


  • What are the fringe and medical rates?

    The fringe benefit rate for employees is 16.8%. Graduate and undergraduate students are 10% of salary.

    The suggested medical insurance rate is $746/month for faculty/staff and $352/month for graduate students.

    Longevity is added for all personnel except faculty.  Escalation is set at 3% per year. 2018 Fringe Documentation

  • How much do graduate assistants get paid?

    Doctoral graduate students salaries are at least $1,750.

    Master students salaries are at least $1,100.

  • How much do I include for graduate assistant tuition and fees on budgets?

    Contact the CERD pre award office (Jesús Palomo or Gabe Rivera) or SRS pre award (Elizabeth Vasquez or Ann Savell) to make sure the correct amount is allocated in your budget.  Tuition paid is based on the GA’s effort on the project.

  • What is the TAMU DUNS number?


  • What documentation is needed when TAMU is the prime and a sub-award needs to be issued to another party?

    If institutions are registered in the expanded FDP Clearinghouse – a sub-recipient form will not be needed.

    If they are not registered, the following information is requested:


    • Letter of intent
    • Contacts (technical/administrative)
    • Statement of work
    • Budget and justification
    • Prime award
    • Sub-Commitment Form